Our Commitment to Diversity
Mansfield Library Diversity Mission
The Mansfield Libraries support The University of Montana’s strong commitment to creating a vibrant and welcoming culture that expects and respects diversity. Our patron base includes the students, faculty, and staff at UM as well as community members of all backgrounds. We support diversity through our collections, services, instruction, and physical and virtual environments in recognition of our unique responsibility to and long history of upholding equal access, intellectual freedom, and freedom of expression.
Definition of Diversity
The Mansfield Libraries define diversity in alignment with the definition presented in the Diversity Plan for The University of Montana.
“The following definition of diversity does not limit but provides a context for this Plan.
The University of Montana seeks to enhance diversity by recognizing and embracing the differences in age, ideas and perspectives, disabilities, creed, ethnicity, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, race, religious and spiritual beliefs, sex, sexual orientation, and the socioeconomic and geographic composition of its faculty, administrative professionals, staff, and students.
In its effort to enhance diversity, The University of Montana recognizes that particular focused effort must be placed on including members of groups who have historically been subject to discrimination and are still underrepresented in the campus community.”
Diversity Committee Roster
- Julie Biando Edwards, Chair
- Tammy Ravas – (2015-2018)
- Natalie Bond – (2015-2018)
- Patti McKenzie – (2015-2018)
- Annie Weiler – (2015-2018)
- Samantha Buechler – (2017-2017)
- Hannah Soukup – (2017-2018)
The Mansfield Library supports diversity through our collections, services, instruction, and physical and virtual environments in recognition of our unique responsibility to and long history of upholding equal access, intellectual freedom, and freedom of expression. The Mansfield Library Diversity Plan codifies this support and the Diversity Committee will facilitate the actions of the library as they relate to diversity.
- To administer and maintain the Mansfield Library Diversity Plan;
- To identify and prioritize diversity initiatives;
- To implement action items and goals in collaboration with other library committees, personnel, or task forces; and
- To annually report on progress made towards achieving action items and goals.