The Natives of Montana Archival Project (NOMAP) collects primary source documents related to the various tribes of Montana. Documents will be collected from the National Archives, National Museum of Natural History, and the Smithsonian in Washington, DC. To date, there have been approximately 35,000 pages and documents digitized, all of which will be hosted on the Montana Memory Project. The geographic location represented by this project covers all of Montana.
Round 1 was digitized in 2009 and published in 2010. It contains over 13,000 documents from the Blackfeet Agency Record Group 75.
Funding for this project was provided by Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, the Native American Studies Department, and the Smithsonian.
Browse the Collection
- NOMAP Project Guide to Documents Relating to American Indians in Montana
- U.S. National Archives & Records Administration Central Classified Files, compiled 1907-1939
- Official Tribal Websites
- Smithsonian National Museum of the Native American
- National Archives and Records Administration
- Montana Tribes via the Montana Office of Public Instruction
Photo courtesy of Dave Beck