The University of Montana-Missoula was chartered in 1893 and formally opened in 1895. UM history is well documented in Archives & Special Collections’ (A&SC) holdings through an extensive collection of records of university offices, papers of faculty members, publications created by entities of the university, records of student organizations, campus plans, architectural drawings, and thousands of photographs. Publications of note include the Kaimin (the campus newspaper), Sentinal yearbooks, course catalogs, and the scholarly and literary journals of campus departments. Faculty papers with particular depth in the history of the university include those of Morton J. Elrod and H. G. Merriam. Departmental records include those of the Faculty Senate, the Associated Students of the University of Montana, and the Office of the President. Several oral history collections include information about the university, its policies and its people. The University of Montana Photos by Subject collection is a rich source of images of campus through the years.
The majority of university publications in A&SC have been cataloged; records are available by using the ‘Search Archives & Special Collections Box’ on the home page. Additional information about relevant manuscript, photograph and oral history collections can be found in the University of Montana Collection List and by keyword searching or browsing in the Northwest Digital Archives database.