The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library Diversity Committee announces a student art competition with a theme of diversity. Currently enrolled UM students are eligible to submit proposals to produce a piece of art for permanent display in the library. This piece will be developed in line with the Library's Diversity Plan Action Item 4.1.4 which states in part that the library will commission artwork "depicting the word "library" in international languages." Interested students are welcome to creatively interpret this idea in the creation of their piece.
Requirements for the final product:
* The art must be 5'x7' and weigh no more than 50lbs.
* The depiction of the word library should focus on the non-English languages spoken by international students at UM - for example, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, Blackfeet, etc.
The successful candidate will be selected via a competitive process to produce a piece that reflects the spirit of the library and of diversity. The winning applicant will receive a $750 prize and $450 towards materials to be purchased from the UM Bookstore.
All eligible applicants need to submit a portfolio, which must address the following criteria:
- Site Responsiveness: Evidence of the artist's ability to create artwork that addresses the physical and/or community context of its placement.
- Artistic Excellence: Evidence of some or all of the following: mastery of skills and techniques, professional approaches to process and presentation, and/or communication of unique vision or perspective.
- Creative Expression: Evidence of the artist's ability to creatively interpret the commission guidelines to create a piece that is visually interesting and inspiring.
A panel consisting of faculty and staff will review and score each applicant's portfolio based on the above criteria.
Any currently enrolled UM student who wishes to be considered for this commission must submit application materials via our online form. (NetID login required)
The timeline for this commission is as follows:
March 3rd, 2014 - Deadline for Submissions
March 10th, 2014 - Committee will select artist
May 9th, 2014 - Artwork completed and unveiled at the Mansfield Library
Students who submit applications may be asked to visit with the selection committee. A supply stipend will be presented to the chosen artist upon selection. The award will be presented to the artist when the piece is completed.
Any submissions received after the deadline will not be considered. For questions please contact Julie Biando Edwards, Diversity Committee Chair, at Julie.email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> or Tammy Ravas, Selection Committee Chair, at email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>. Thank you for your interest in this exciting project.